Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Episode 2-Challenges

  
      We barely unpacked in Lom as we were given INFORMATION to be ready for the bus early the next morning. We were all sure the mountains beckoned.  Sure enough, we began to climb, the road narrowed and we traveled up in elevation.   I was very impressed with our driver, Marit, as we kept climbing.  The road had no middle line, but was still considered two way....  Every view out the window was breathtaking!  Snow, snow and more snow!

Finally, we stopped the bus to check out the snow walls on either side of the road -a photo op!  Then we kept going ....through a tunnel and down.
       Our first real "challenge" is in the town of Skjolden - which is pronounced totally differently than I could grasp - the skj seems to make an English shh sound. Skjolden is at the base of mountains, at the far end of a fjord.  The ride down was AMAZING --(Johnathan's favorite word!)  I live near mountains and have seen great views, but this was gorgeous and scary with switch backs going down the mountians.  I think this is my first Norwegian fjord!  We are all very excited - even the crew -many of them who live in cities - ran out to take photos as we were coming down.
       In Skjolden we get our first taste of real competition with lots of waiting and re-doing shots, then a furious flurry of timed activity - cramming luggage into a car. I have a bad "mommy" moment and begin arguing with Alf about packing!  Embarrassing!!!  We end up not having the back door of the car closed and loose the competition. This feels bad as it has become increasingly clear that this is not a vacation, someone will be going home this week. I'm not sure how many of us really like these contests. But there is a camaraderie that develops with a team that I had forgotten.  I really do not want to see any of them leave.
     The "theme" of the week is mountians and a "hytta" is a mountain cabin.  The car packing was supposed to simulate packing for a hyttatur.  We are staying in two hyttas - by teams and they are cozy.  Some folks are a bit wary of the outhouse, but there is electricity - which I consider a luxury in a cabin!  There is no running water - so we melt snow to boil.  We have been given "traditional" foods - like fish balls to cook.  Now we really feel that we are in Norway!  We play cards and get to know each other better, ready for the final team competition.  The outhouse is entertaining - I have known many outhouses, but this one has a board missing in the back and the wind howls through it - a wind tunnel, blowing wastes and paper back towards you.  Very annoying!!

        The challenge will be at Sognfejellet, a lodge/restaurant that we had passed before.  Seems it is a famous skiing area - where Olympic skiers train.  The snow is beautiful - I am restless and would love to ski!  We wait, and wait.  Finally we are introduced to Harvald Hanevold an Olympic medalist and are told the challenge: a Biathalon!  Well, I have skied cross-country, but have never shot a gun.  I am not sure about the others, this will be interesting!  Turns out the skis are skate skis with NO traction.  I am used to wax or scales and fall right away.  With a bit of practice, it get easier, but I would not say I'm good and some of the others are really struggling. CJ he has only skied downhill a few times, Jessica has only skied when she was 10, Stephanie has raced downhill. I have no idea of the other team.
      We get to practice shooting - they ask me to try first - I'm guessing because I made a big deal out of never having shot before.  I did once have good vision - but my eyes are getting squirrely if I focus too long. I lay down and  I get the first one! and the second! I try standing and get some also.  I am stoked!!!!  My son is into guns and will be so proud of me!
      Red team goes first.  We have to choose the order and have three shoot lying down and three standing. Standing is supposed to be harder. We get 30 seconds off our time for each missed shot.  C.J offers to start.  I said I would shoot standing - I think getting up and down is tricky. We have our order and wait... and wait... the weather begins to get worse.  Snow is blowing sideways. It is COLD - especially standing still -waiting. Finally, the cameras are ready and CJ begins.  His strategy is slow and steady- not to fall and it works. He is a good shot.  Steph.races around and shoots well, Jessica shoots well -3/5. I try to be fast and steady, but fall, then lose a pole and have to back up.  I pull hard on the last little hill and then.... realize that it is really hard to shoot while gasping for breath. I miss the first 3 then get 2.  (Funny detail: I raise the gun a few times and lower it to catch my breath - I'm almost ready to fire the first time, when one of the teachers - Halvord? leans over and moves my hand, saying," the trigger is down here".  Makes me realize that I know NOTHING!!!  I am shooting a gun and know Nothing!!  I hit the target and know Nothing - makes me very nervous - guns should not be this easy.) 
      Alf goes and loses his pole - very dramatic and funny at the same time.  Dana blitzes the track then misses all 5.  We are done.... We feel good, but know it will be close.  We have interviews and are somewhat positive.  I'm getting tired of the questions; How do you feel?  What if you lose?  Over and over....   But Jessica has a great attitude: "That was so much fun!  I got to ski and shoot a gun in Norway!"
       We have to wait for the other team and cannot watch.  The tension is hard.  Finally, the Blue team comes in looking somber, but I overhear Todd saying that they think they have it to a crew member and someone else calls Austin "champ".  We may lose.
       We go outside for the results - the weather has gotten better - seems the sun came out for the Blue team.  We wait and wait, cameras, lights, sound - finally, actually more than once, since they need multiple shots - "Blue team wins".  I feel heavy and sad.  I can't quite believe it - It must have come down to a few missed shots or the lead time they had.  More interviews - I hate this tension - this flaying of nerves.  How do you feel?  One of us will have to go home.
        Next day is Reality day - cameras wake us up! We eat breakfast for the cameras and then have interviews.  It is hard not to get nervous.  We ask about the elimination competition and they tell us there is no way we can prepare.It will not be physical or have to do with language.
      Austin and Amy have been given "family envelopes" and shuttled away to visit somewhere special. They return with wonderful stories.  Amy's town still has her name!  She tells us about wandering around the farm, crying.  It seems Austin's ancestor started the first hotel in Norway and it still exists!  He said he bawled like a child.  Their stories make me want to see where my grandmother lived even more.
       I go for a walk in the snow to a hill behind the house with Jessica and Lasse. I really just want to put on skis and explore, but have no skis. I feel a bit claustrophobic - in the middle of vast mountains. I am wondering what I am doing here?   This is an amazing adventure for all of us, but I have traveled and could go home. How much do I want this?  Tensions are a high. We are all more quiet than usual.


No comments:

Post a Comment