Monday, September 10, 2012

Schedule

     These first weeks have been an introduction - to each other, the crew and the reality of reality TV - or as one of the crew likes to call it, "scripted reality".  There is a script - not of words for us to say, but a general outline of the show. The places we visit have been selected, the  challenges decided, the questions we will be asked (over and over) scripted.  This is a job - though a very wonderful one.
     Every week we will travel - somewhere - they will not tell us.  The element of surprise is very important!!!  This is probably one of the strangest things - to let go of knowing where you are and what will happen next.  We, usually only know what will be happening for a few hours at a time - "We will meet at 6pm for more INFORMATION".  I presume its not that they are disorganized, but that it is a way of keeping us in a state of anticipation. It works.  It also requires being very passive - letting go of having control of one's life - a strange state for a 58 year old.  I wonder if the younger contestants find it as difficult. Our "managers" are three lovely young women - but its going to take me a while to call women who could be my daughters, "mama!"

     There is a schedule.  One day of travel - then 2 -3 days filming a challenge, one day of "reality" filming us doing regular things and having interviews (they need responses to the week's experience from everyone in the show- so lots of down time for the rest of us)  The days are not necessarily in that order, but generally adhered to.  Then another day of travel - back to home base in Oslo and then a day off.
      Home base, for now at least, is a hotel on the outskirts of Oslo.  A nice place, but isolated - seems they want to keep us out of downtown.  (A later suprise?)  Its fascinating to watch a group deal with time off - some are disciplined - working out, studying, others are more social - hanging out, watching TV together, others are adventuresome and wander off exploring.  And some write in journals or sleep.
     I find I am terribly restless and wander - there are paved paths all around - along the highway that lead to commuter rail stations and then up into residential areas.  I wander. I know no-one and don't speak Norwegian - I feel sort of invisible walking along, but I love just checking out Norway. The houses are small and close together - but nicely tended with mini -orchards in the yards. There must be lots of children because I see trampolines everywhere!   I'm in Norway!
     But I can't be gone long - I have to be back at Home Base for more INFORMATION.

No comments:

Post a Comment