Thursday, September 13, 2012

Episode 2- Elimination

     When they tell us the elimination challenge, I can hardly believe it.  A memory game!  I had watched all the past season's episodes and was ready for all sorts of physical challenges and here we are, in the middle of a beautiful rugged place - inside playing a memory game.  I know as one of the older contestants, I probably have a better chance of staying here without a physical challenge, but still, I'm having to let go of my expectations. I'm usually pretty good at memory, in spite of my age, but I wanted challenge and nature and physical exhilaration, not mind games.
      We are all very tense. CJ looks like he will explode, Dana is vibrating, Jessica is sort of concentrated, Alf is sadly serious - he is exempt, but worried, Stephanie seems the most positive. I'm trying to stay calm and focus. Again the waiting.  Which does not help. We are all very serious.  One of us will go home.
      Finally, we are allowed into the room that has been filled with Norwegian knick-nacks,; there is more stuff than I had expected.  Lots of stuff.  I try to get  a visual picture of each item.  I try not to notice the others, but keep a sense of the door.  Suddenly, CJ bolts - I'm on the far side of the room.  Everyone panics and follows CJ - running for the door.  Jessica and I are hip to hip.  Its sort of funny.  I'm not going to wrestle with her.  I am last. It never occurred to me that I should have stayed and used up the time allotted.
       We have finished early and the cameras are not ready.  We wait.  It is rather excruciating.  Dana yells at the crew.  I know I'm thinking about the very real possibility that I will have to go home.  I do not want to go home yet.  I do not want to be first.  I'm not sure I can win, but I want to see more of Norway. I'd love to get one of the envelopes and learn more about my grandmother and her family.
      We file in and, after more waiting, begin the game.  Stephanie makes more mistakes than the rest of us and, finally it is down to just the two of us.  I realize that I've been a mother too long when I find myself thinking of letting her win.  She reminds me of my daughter - she is having such a great time. Mother's do that, sacrifice.  But part of the reason I am here is that I feel it is time for me to do things I want to do.  I want to be here in Norway.  I focus and get a right answer.  Stephanie has to go home.  I feel so badly for her, but I am relieved.
      I am surprised how emotional we all are. This is just a TV show, but we have all bought in - we have come to care about each other, yet we do not want to lose.  Welcome to Alt for Norge!

No comments:

Post a Comment